I love banana bread. It’s one of my favourite treats and it is my go-to snack to have with my coffee. It can be super bad for you with all that sugar in it, so for a while now I’ve been trialling some healthier options to make my little treat a little less naughty.
This version has way less sugar than most and is still super moist and delicious.
My hot tip for making banana bread is to leave your bananas to ripen on the counter til they’re almost overripe then toss them in the freezer. (I always have about half a dozen bananas in my freezer!). The riper the bananas are when you freeze them, the sweeter they will be (when they ripen, the starch in them breaks down and converts to sugar).
Then, when you want to use them for banana bread, just leave them on the counter to thaw and your bananas will be super sweet and already super mushy so you won’t need to mash them! The skins will go black as they defrost so don’t be alarmed! It’s easiest to just snip the tops off the bananas with scissors then squeeze the banana mush out.
Anyway, onto my banana bread recipe!
- 3 bananas
- 125g rolled oats
- 450g self raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 135g brown sugar
- 150g melted butter
- 375g milk
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
- Combine oats, flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the butter, milk, vanilla essence and mashed bananas (if you use my tip above, just snip the tops off the bananas and squeeze the banana out).
- Mix together until just combined, don't overbeat.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake in the oven for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
My husband likes the centre of the banana bread to still be slightly gooey so I end up pulling mine out a couple of minutes early, but keep it in until the skewer comes out clean for perfectly cooked, delicious (and healthier than most!) banana bread.
Do you love banana bread? Have you tried my freezer tip for using bananas?