We were officially ‘trying’ to get pregnant for about 5 months or so before falling pregnant so I had read some books and felt pretty prepared for what pregnancy would bring.
All of the LOLs! What a sweet, naive fool I was. Nothing can prepare you for pregnancy!
It’s been different to what I expected, and a lot harder than I thought it would be to be completely honest. These are the most unexpected things I found about being pregnant during my first trimester:
- My skin was horrible! It’s starting to come good again and I’m starting to get a bit more ‘glow’ but I had the worst breakouts I’ve had since puberty. Horrible cystic breakouts along my jawline, my cheeks, my chin. Fun times!
- I didn’t throw up much, but the
morningall day sickness was relentless. I felt constantly sick for about 2 months, and it’s not something I’ve ever felt before. It’s a weird mix of being seasick, hungover, and having gastro all at once. And if you’re keeping the pregnancy quiet you’re generally suffering in silence.
- I was so tired, all the time. A deep fatigue in my very bones that no amount of sleep would rectify. Still have this one to be honest and I’m hanging out for that magic second trimester energy boost. It’s a tiredness so deep it’s all I can do to just lie on the couch for a little while before going to bed. Last weekend I cooked dinner and I was shattered afterwards. All of the tired, all of the time.
- I didn’t sleep well. I was waking up every 2 hours for a little while. I used to be a deep sleeper, no more! I wake up at noises that never used to bother me. I wake up to pee at least 3 times during the night. I wake up because I am so damn uncomfortable. Lots of waking up. (‘It’s getting you ready for the baby’ they say… yeah but I won’t have to go to work in the morning with a baby. I am also supposed to be sleeping before the baby arrives… go figure).
- I started showing early. Lots of women say they didn’t start showing til 4 or 5 months, especially for their first. I showed early! I had a couple of weeks where I could have just been a bit fat and carrying weight in my tummy but by week 10 I well and truly had a baby belly. I have small torso and all that growing and moving around has to go somewhere!
- I didn’t love being pregnant straight away. Don’t get me wrong, I so badly wanted to be pregnant and I am so looking forward to meeting jellybean at the end of this and I love the baby like crazy already, I just expected to love being pregnant straight away (the way it happens in movies I suppose). I love the baby, but the pregnancy bit was hard for me at first.
- That 12 week scan is the most beautiful, exciting, nerve-wracking experience ever. I was hanging out for that scan to make sure everything was progressing as it should and to get a glimpse of our little jellybean. But I never expected it to be so emotional, so beautiful and for the baby to look so cute (and at the time so weird!) on the scan. I never thought I would describe an ultrasound picture as cute, but it totally happened.
What were the most unexpected parts of early pregnancy for you?