I’ve been meaning to have a dedicated travel toiletry bag for so long, and I’ve finally managed to put one together! I go on a lot of quick weekend trips (mostly to visit my parents in Sydney) and I always feel like packing my toiletries is something I do at the last minute and is always such a pain to worry about, so having a dedicated travel toiletry bag stocked and ready to go will save me precious time and make sure I never forget anything.
Putting this bag together has been motivated by two things. The first is that we are going on a trip this weekend (our ‘babymoon’) and the second is that I want to have a toiletry bag ready to go in my hospital bag and not have to worry about packing anything while I’m in labour (because I will no doubt forget something important if I try to pack my toiletries during labour!)Keeping that in mind, I wanted my toiletry bag to be fully stocked with all the products I use on a regular basis and anything I might need on a weekend away. I’m actually really impressed with my efforts because I have managed to fit all my toiletries into one little bag, including skincare, haircare and makeup! I usually overpack for everything so to be able to condense my toiletries into one bag without sacrificing any products is amazing!
Almost everything in here is a double of what I use everyday, and the products in here are generally my half empties so my bag is a bit lighter as well as having a backup for my everyday products should I run out and need to dip into my travel bag until I can restock my usual stash.
I’m using a toiletry bag that came in a gift set with the shampoo/conditioner/treatment set I sometimes purchase from my hairdresser, and I chose to use this bag for a couple of reasons.The first is that it zips up. Anything that closes with a magnetic clip never closes as well as a zipper. The second is that it has several internal compartments to keep my toiletries organised. And the third is that is has a hook which means I can hang it up in a hotel bathroom and be able to easily access all my products.
I always love seeing what other people keep in their toiletry bags and what products they use, so here is what I’m keeping in mine (in no particular order):
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar cleanser decanted into a pump bottle – this travel bottle has a little clip that goes onto the pump to stop it potentially leaking in the bag – genius!
- Jurlique Skin Balancing Face Oil – I usually use Go-To Face Hero or just plain old rosehip oil as a step between my cleanser and moisturiser at night but I have a bottle of this in my bathroom to use up and it’s just as good!
- Trilogy Vital Moisturising Cream – I keep a whole jar of this in my travel bag so I don’t have to worry about refilling a little jar, and also so I have a spare around for when I use up the jar in my bathroom cabinet.
- Body wash – I’ve got a travel sized bottle of body wash to keep in here. Generally I don’t need it as if I’m at my parents house they have body wash, and if I’m in a hotel I use the provided body wash/soap but it’s good to have it in here just in case (and for the hospital!)
- Schwartzkopf Colour Protect shampoo and conditioner decanted into travel bottles – the bottles are labelled so I don’t forget which one is shampoo and which one is conditioner!
- Bumble and bumble Brilliantine – this is possibly my favourite styling product. It lasts for a really long time and gives my hair a lovely texture.
- Batiste dry shampoo – I love that these come in a travel friendly size and dry shampoo is a must have on holidays (and hospital stays!) for lazy hair days.
- Trilogy Everything Balm – I am addicted to this stuff. I keep a jar on my bedside table and I need to buy one to keep in my handbag because I use it for so many things! I love it as a lip balm, a moisturiser, a treatment for cuts or burns, for cuticles, for really dry skin, to tame flyaways, you get the idea. It really is a multi-purpose product! A jar of this is a must-have for my travel bag.
- The must haves requiring no explanation – deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor
- Travel hairbrush – I actually go through phases as to whether or not I brush my hair, often depending on how it’s behaving, but a little fold up brush is much easier than carrying a full brush
- Hair elastics and bobby pins – definitely a must-have to deal with uncooperative hair! This little ziplock bag my bobby pins came in is perfect for holding both them and my elastics.
- My everyday makeup – I’ve got my Maybelline foundation, Benefit Fake Up concealer, Benefit Puff Off eye gel (to help with under eye puffiness), Benefit Posietint mini (I think I got this in a travel set, it’s always good if you can find makeup you love in a mini form for travel!), Maybelline Colour Tattoo cream eye shadow in Inked in Pink, Stila liquid liner, Laura Mercier eyelash curler (this one is great because it’s so compact!) and Clinique Lash Power mascara.
The only things I’m missing from my ‘everyday’ makeup arsenal are an eyebrow pencil (because I need to buy a new one and I haven’t had time yet!) and some powder, mostly because I tend to only wear powder on workdays at the moment and I can cope without it for a few days.
It’s so good to know that this toiletry bag is fully stocked and ready to go, meaning I don’t need to waste precious packing time worrying about where my toiletries are and I won’t forget anything because I had to use it before I could pack it.
It also means that I can keep my toiletry bag in my hospital bag ready to go at any moment and know that it’s one less thing I have to worry about when I go into labour!
Do you keep a travel toiletry bag packed and ready to go?
What are your must-have travel toiletries?
Like what you see? You can sign up for the newsletter here!
It’ll be full of stuff you’ll love, I promise!