I was never really that into podcasts but since I’ve been on maternity leave I have been completely addicted to them! (Not even joking. I went from subscribing to no podcasts to now having about 70 podcasts in my podcasts app!) I’m constantly looking for new podcasts to subscribe to because I tend to burn through the archives of any podcast pretty quickly. I love it when I find a new (to me) podcast I enjoy that has actually been around for a while because it means many hours of awesome listening.
I listen to podcasts while I go for my morning walk, while I’m cleaning the house or driving in the car. I’ve definitely got favourites that I listen to all the time and get super excited about when I see a new episode pop up in my podcast app, so I thought I would share them with you.
- The Lively Show – I think I’ve gotten something valuable out of every episode of The Lively Show I’ve listened to. Jess has some really great entrepreneurs, writers, businesspeople and just interesting people on the show and I love listening to how people got to where they are and the advice they have for other people. This was also the first podcast I ever talked about on the blog in my November Favourites.
- The Slow Home Podcast – this has been a big one in my quest for ‘simple’ (and mentioned in my February Favourites). Brooke (and Ben) live a slower, simpler life but it isn’t a boring one by any stretch! I love how they and their guests examine different ways of slowing down and how to include concrete actions into your life to give it more meaning and more enjoyment.
- No Such Thing As A Fish – this is a great one for when I’m doing housework or going on walks and am in the mood for something funny and not too deep. I mentioned this podcast in my February Favourites and it’s four researchers from QI who sit around and share interesting facts they’ve come across. It’s hilarious and I’m always surprised by the facts they find!
- History Chicks – I love, love, love this podcast so much. I also mentioned it in my February Favourites and it is so good. I am a big history nerd so I love my history and this is such an in-depth but easy to follow look into the lives of significant (and sometimes ordinary, but in interesting circumstances) women throughout history. They’ve covered Catherine the Great, Marie-Antoinette, Beatrix Potter, the Gilded Age Heiresses and lots more. Definitely worth a listen!
- The Simple Show – another great simple living podcast. Tsh is a great advocate for simple living and I love the range of guests on her show. It’s another one that I’ve gotten some great ideas from but also the feeling that simple living isn’t overwhelming and it is totally achievable.
- What Should I Read Next – possibly my favourite of all the new podcasts that have started up lately. Anne from Modern Mrs Darcy is already my go-to blogger for book recommendations but now she has a podcast too!! She has guests every week that talk about all things reading and Anne plays ‘literary matchmaker’ by recommending three books for them to read next based on their answers to three books they love, one book they hate and what they’re currently reading. My TBR list exploded after starting to listen to this podcast and I eagerly anticipate each new episode.
- Edit Your Life Show – this probably falls into the ‘simple living’ category as well, but Christine and Asha have super practical ways to hack and edit your life to make enjoying the things that matter a little easier. I love that they talk about parenting a lot which has given me a lot to think about. I especially loved their episode on raising passionate kids.
- The Minimalists – possibly the king of the ‘simple living’ blogs and podcasts is The Minimalists. It took me a while to warm up to their format because it’s not really what I’m used to but I’ve come to really enjoy it. The episodes are loooong so prepare for that, but worth a listen if you’re interested in minimalism or how to reduce some of the clutter from your home.
- Straight and Curly – this is a newish podcast from Carly (of Smaggle) and Kelly (of A Life Less Frantic) and I love listening to them talk about productivity and self-improvement hacks. It is so nice that there are more great Australian podcasts coming out and this is one of my faves to get some great productivity tips from. I love that they go through the pros and cons of a tip and don’t just carte blanche tell you to do something, but have actually done the legwork and tried it out for themselves.
Honourable mentions (because it’s so hard to choose!):
- Sweet Teen Club – Stacey (The Veggie Mama) and Carly (Smaggle) exploring the Sweet Valley High books and other 90s pop cultural phenomena. What’s not to love? I think my fave so far is talking about Clueless!
- The Popcast – I love the themes they have every week, it’s a great way to talk about pop culture, and it keeps me up to date with pop culture news (so I can pretend I’m cool!).
- Budgets and Cents – Cait (Blonde on a Budget) and Carrie (Careful Cents) talk budgets and all things personal finance and getting out of debt. It may sound boring but I got so much out of their episodes!
- The MotherHood – I am loving this honest and hilarious look at parenting (plus it has one of my favourite bloggers (and blogging friend) ever, Lauren from The Thud, so I was always going to love it!)
- The Mummy Soul Sessions – another one of my awesome blogging friends Karin (Calm to Conniption) has recently started this podcast all about taking some time out for yourself. It also scored a mention in my March Favourites!
- The Nerdist – this is a new to me podcast and I am totally loving it! I really like the different approach to celebrity interviews and the great range of guests.
I hope you find some great podcasts to listen to from this list. Let me know your favourite podcasts!
Linking up with Essentially Jess for #IBOT (I blog on Tuesdays)